How can the SAMR theory of technology adoption help you evaluate technologies that you might consider using in your classroom?

Teaching learners new information and skills are exciting! Sometimes in the process of getting excited to teach students, you forget about all of the specifics. It would be amazing if you could teach your entire class of students all at the same time how to use Canva. That may not be possible though depending on the school you are at and the funding that it has. Let’s break down SAMR and come up with some examples!

SAMR model, illustrated by Sylvia Duckworth

Substitution

-We can allow students to work on a computer to type out assignments instead of writing if it works better for them

Augmentation

-We can allow students to work on a computer to type out their assignments plus… allowing them to look up definitions on the internet to improve their assignment

Modification

Maybe it is easier for a student to use talk to text to improve their sentence construction (this is how I prefer to work!)

Redefinition

-Using technology to communicate with parents. For example, having students do self-reflections on google classroom so their parents can see what they are learning

How could the SECTIONS model help you select the most appropriate tool or technology to help meet your learning objectives for your class?

As mentioned above sometimes you have grand ideas but no way of implementing them. SECTIONS gives you questions to ask yourself when planning to ensure you meet your planned objectives. The below links gives a great breakdown of SECTIONS! Enjoy the read!

https://teachingcommons.unt.edu/teaching-essentials/teaching-technology/selecting-educational-technologies-checklist

Could sketchnoting benefit learners in the grade level you hope to teach at? If so how?

I believe that any technology used currently can benefit learners! I feel that sketch noting could help to engage learners in the topic, and allow them to be involved in their learning.

I struggle with sketchnoting as it is not how my brain works. In another class this semester we have been asked to do concept maps for chapter notes.. In theory, this should be more engaging and decently quick, however, I need to write out my notes by hand, then type them and then transfer them into a concept map. I state this so that we remember to think about students who may not get any benefits from sketchnoting.

Below is a wonderful blog that acts as a guide for using sketchnoting in the classroom!

Canva Examples

Below are two examples of Canva infographics that I have made. Unfortunately the “wedding invitation” below was the 5th one that I had to make…. Planning a wedding, then replanning it 2 more times gives you plenty of opportunities to hone your skills on Canva.