Guest Lecture- Joanna Lake

I am very thankful for Joanna’s guest presentation this morning. I found her presentation not only beneficial to this course but to other courses as well. I am going to focus on some key takeaways from the guest lecture and she was amazing! I cannot wait to be able to go over the resources that she shared with us 🙂

Key take aways

-Work collaboratively with your students on everything, ie explaining assignments, creating rubrics

-Really ensure that your students understand the proficiency scale, give examples that are applicable to them

-Allow students to analyze you, give them an example to help them understand

-Give students choice on how they submit assignments, video or audio may be better for some students as opposed to a written answer

-Absolutely everything she said regarding ELA!! Unfortunately, we have not had a wonderful course experience this semester with our ELA course so I have been feeling quite unprepared for practicum. All of Joanna’s examples were incredibly helpful and applicable which is greatly appreciated.

-Always head into a class with a fresh mind, give every child a blank slate

-Build movement into your lessons

-FAIL in your practicum, this is when you can fail and have mentors to help you learn

-Content is a friendly suggestion, competencies is what we are focused on

-Single point rubrics are great!

Trevor MacKenzie

I highly encourage everyone to follow Trever Mackenzie on Instagram and/or Twitter. I started following him earlier in the semester and I have learned a ton. His videos on Instagram and youtube are always short and to the point! Check out this 1 min video below!

I am extremely grateful for all the incredible resources that have been shared throughout the past 10 weeks!!