4 years ago I was teaching a group swimming lesson and was having a difficult time building rapport with one of my swimmers. We were never on the same page, I would ask them to swim a certain lap and they would do something differently, and I was frustrated. On halfway day I was talking to their mother and everything made sense. This swimmer needed a personalized learning plan and not a lesson plan. Throughout the next five weeks of me using a learning plan with this student, she became the best swimmer in the group!

Lesson plans are essential to ensuring that your classroom runs smoothly and students learn all content areas. However, being able to adapt your lesson plans to your individual student’s needs is the most important. This ends up being personalized learning plans.

Lesson plan: Step by step outline of the lesson being taught, this includes the timing of the lesson and small adaptations that you may have to make.

Personalized Learning Plan: An individualized plan that takes all the learner’s needs into consideration. For example, my swimmer above was 60% deaf in both ears, however, I was unaware until 5 lessons in. Once I was informed we were able to work together to come up with a personalized learning plan.

When trying to find research on this topic I found someone’s blog post from last year in this class and it is a great read! Click on the link to read her blog post on this topic! This is assisting me and hopefully you as well to grow your professional learning network! There are many benefits to growing a professional learning network or PLN, including connecting with colleges over shared interests and learning from eachother!

Visit this site to discover more about why it is important to develop a personalized learning plan!

https://www.eidesign.net/5-reasons-why-you-should-develop-a-personalized-learning-plan/

It is my hope that adding images to this post with help boost activity on my blog!